Engineer Network Group

Engineer Network Group
Careers for Engineers

Friday, December 31, 2010

Where Do You See Yourself Five Years from Now?

No new year’s resolution question... but a silly interview question asked by most interviewers.



This is the type of question where virtually any answer can get you into trouble.
If you aim too high, you might come off as too ambitious, on the other hand... if you aim too low, you lack initiative and won’t contribute enough to cover the cost of your salary.
You must admit, this is a tricky question, but you’ve got to answer it...

Where do you see yourself in five years from now?

First, don’t break into a sweat.
Secondly... be honest.

Here’s a good answer to an uncomfortable question.

“I don’t have a specific plan! I would like to advance. However, I am flexible. I will do my current job to the best of my ability and keep my eyes open for opportunities within the organization to advance even if it means changing roles. I am prepared to learn new things and contribute to the overall success of the organization in a number of ways. The only specific within that “plan of willingness” is that the opportunity be within my ability to learn, interesting enough for me to dig in and do a good job, and the compensation increase a reasonable amount in relation to the demands of the position.” L. Bosco (Earning eight promotions in thirty-one years).

This answer can be revised to fit in with your own personality...

“In the next five years I’d like to see myself in this company, advancing to the next level or at least learning new things and taking on new responsibilities if at all possible.”

” I’m happiest when I feel that I’m an essential part of the company I work for – hopefully this one. In the next five years (and hopefully more) I plan to take advantage of whatever opportunities are available – but mostly, I want to do the best I can and know that I’m making a difference.”

Whatever you’re answers going to be, try to be yourself – even if yourself is a little nervous.

Look the interviewer(s) in the eyes, take a moment to connect, and then with as much truth and sincerity as possible make the words yours.

Work Coach Cafe


Engineering positions available on our websites:

No comments:

Post a Comment